Saturday 28 January 2012

Make up storage and I'm at the beach house

I'm always curious as to how people store their stuff. I like for my things to be orderly and stored well. Following on from my earlier posts on storage re: shoes and nail polish, some may be interested to know how I store my make up.


The make up is stored in this Train Case. It's a Napoleon Pro Train Case. I have had it for a very long time, perhaps 8 or 9 years. The black part on the exterior has faded slightly in that time. Quite possibly due to sunlight or alternatively, from spray and wipe. I acquired this baby from a friend who was a make up artist at the time and working for the Napoleon brand as a make up artist. I'm unsure if they were sold to the public but I recall paying around $100-$150 for it, back then. At the time I wasn't sure if it was over priced as I didn't come across anything like this in make up storage.


When open, there are three rows of storage on each side and the dividers can be removed and attached for the size required.











Can you tell that I love MAC?
The picture with the blushes has 10 blushes, a blush stacked on top of another - I consider the compartments to be generous with the depth. In another picture with the 4 eyeshadow pallets, there are three pallets stacked together. I have pretty much a full set of brushes in a bag. The bag used to sit in the centre compartment but I have recently changed that to the bag living next to the train case, for ease.

Early this morning, I drove to the beach house for the weekend. I haven't had the opportunity to come down at all this summer until now. As a teen/early twenties I used to stay down here for most of the summer. It was usual for me to commence school for the year with a killer tan. As I have gotten older, I usually either take a week off or I just come up on the weekends. I prefer to save my leave until the cold weather arrives and jet off to somewhere warm.

My beach house is located down the Mornington Peninsula way in a suburb called Rye. Now if anyone from Melbourne knows about the Peninsula, they will know that every man and their dog either has a holiday house in Rye or their Nonna/insert family member does. Over the years I have been to gatherings or BBQ's where the house has a zillion beds in the house and you would be lucky if the house was a four bedder.

My beach house is nothing like it! When I was 18 my parents purchased a block 5 minutes from the foreshore and built a single story, four bedroom two bath house. My parents have the intention of moving down here once they retire. I remember at the time of construction, walking through at frame stage and exclaiming it was small - the size shocked me as I grew up in a huge house (60 squares). In hindsight it was a godsend as cleaning up before leaving would take no time. We all have our own bedroom (parents, brother and I) plus a guest room. Each bedroom only has one large bed too (no bunks in this house, lol). My parents throughout the year will come down every weekend and for most of summer.

I have so many fond memories of Rye and the rest (Sorrento, Portsea et al). My parents would always give me a week on my own and during that week, the house would be absolutely jamming. The boys would bring the boat and jet skis, they would go fishing and we will be BBQ'ing snapper for dinner. We would go to the Portsea Pub for drinks and then swing past the Conti (Continental Hotel). So when my week alone was up, we would then crash at whoever had an empty beach house i.e best mates nonnas, so on and so forth Those were good times.
I have uploaded some pics below that I had on my phone, from those good old days.


In the alfresco area. My mum is such a European - check out all her pot plants in the background! What you can't see are her flowers in the garden and the biggest veggie patch ever, bigger than the one she has at home. We have bore water here with a whizz banger electronic irrigation (watering) system. We had it installed way before water restrictions were implemented though and mum is into gardening so she has the seasonal fruit and veggies growing.


My girls bought me a portable iPod speaker system one year for my birthday so we would kick back on the beach listening to tunes. It wasn't long before people would park their towels near us!


The above photo was taken in 06, before a big night out to the Portsea Pub and the Conti.


Yup - crazy, crazy times were had at the Conti!

No comments:

Post a Comment